Monday, October 19, 2009

I'm heading for retirement

You read that right. I'm retiring from the world of competitive bike racing after the Captial Cross race on December 7. This doesn't mean that I won't be riding anymore, just that I won't be racing. Now you're probably asking why after such a great year I would be doing this. For some of you reading this the dream is to become a professional rider, getting paid to race. While I love racing my bike that just isn't my dream.

The reason is I want to pursue my real dream job. I'm currently involved in a volunteer work in the U.S. and I am beginning to make plans to move to third world country (where I'm not quiet sure yet) to be more fully involved with this work sometime late next year.

When I go to race I go to win. With the preparation and planning that is going to go into a move of this magnitude I just won't have the time to train to be competitive. I still plan on riding, but am going to focus more on high speed long distance touring.

It was a great year, I met some awesome people and I learned a lot about myself in the process too. While the Adventures of Captain Crunch blog will continue past December, there will be a shift in the focus. Starting in 2010 it will be chronicling my preparation for moving.

I want to thank my sponsers that helped out so much this year - the RGM Watch Co. and Thome Insurance Agency. Also, thank you to everyone for reading the last two years and I hope that you will continue to do so in the future as my new adventure begins!

Best Regards
Captain Crunch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making such a momentous decision. I'm sure everything will work out just great. Best wishes :)

About Me

My photo
I got my name from a friend while playing a video game a long time ago and it just stuck. As if you couldn't tell from the picture I am a huge cycling nut, always looking for something harder.