Monday, March 10, 2008

RAAM

Today I am going to tell you a little about the Race Across America (RAAM). This is one of the toughest, if not the toughest sporting event in the world. This year it runs from Oceanside CA (just south of San Diego) to Annapolis MD 3000 miles away. It takes a team of 4 anywhere from 6 to 9 days to complete depending on how fast their average is. It takes about a crew of 12 people to complete the race. Why 12 or more? You need at least three follow vehicles/support vehicles, and an RV for the crew and racers (so at least 4 to drive them). You need at least one person with some medical experience, either in the sports medicine field or an EMT or RN. Another to care for food/cooking. It takes at least 6 people at any one time to keep things going.

Once the race starts the clock doesn't stop. That's why you need at least 12 people. 6 on duty while the others rest. The race runs 24 hrs. for 9 days - a grueling test for the crew just as it is for the riders.

The probability I will ever compete in this race is very low. But you have to start somewhere, right? So here is where ask a favor of you. I am trying to see if I could even put a crew together.

If you are interested in an all expense paid trip from the east coast to CA (by plane) and back by car avg. around 15-20 mph then let me know by leaving a comment. The only required thing on your part would be your time (there would be no compensation for that). All food and lodging would be cared for. If you want to know more about crewing for this race click here. Also, if you know of anyone that would actually be interested in riding please let me know as well.

Thanks for reading
Captain Crunch

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I got my name from a friend while playing a video game a long time ago and it just stuck. As if you couldn't tell from the picture I am a huge cycling nut, always looking for something harder.