Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Season Begins

Well, March is here and I took the first few rides of the spring season this week. I finally got my event schedule in order. It is going to be a busy season (If you see a name underlined that means its a link to the event page)...

April 20 - US 40k (24.8 miles) Time Trial from Middletown PA to Marietta and back.

I usually don't do actual races but this is a time trial. You are simply racing against yourself and not in a pack. It allows you to see how you compare with other riders without the pressure of riding in a pack.

May 27 - Pisgah - Cherokee - Pisgah

120 miles of pure mountain riding. Starting from the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway riding to the very end of the parkway 60 miles and then riding back. There is a 13 mile descent at the end of the BRP... so that means 13 miles back up :-). This ride will take me past the infamous Bear Pen Gap parking area (the spot where I abandoned last year.). The total elevation gain is about 15,000 feet (imagine riding three miles straight up).

We're just getting started...

June 20 or 21 - Elizabethtown PA to Wallkill NY (200 Miles)

It's okay, you can call me mentally ill. This ride is 200 miles long but only 7500 feet of climbing. We will stick mainly to routes 443 and 209 all the way to Bethel. The Delaware Water Gap is quite scenic and will provide some much need rest at around mile 120. Using the longest day of the year we hope to leave Elizabethtown at 5 AM and arrive in the parking lot of 800 Red Mills Rd. at or earlier than 7PM the same day.

July 26 - Dreamride Lancaster (100 Miles)

This is a 100 mile charity ride around Lancaster Pa. This is a great warmup to Nightmare.

August 16 - Nightmare (177 miles)
This ride circumnavigates the entire county of Lancaster in one day. With 12,000 feet of climbing and the hardest hill in Lancaster County (mile 107 22% grade for a 1/4 mile) and the August heat... I hope to survive - I did last year.

September 20 - 27 - The Outer Banks (Total 500 miles for week)
I will be headed to beach for the week staying with friends in
Corolla, NC. But I am hoping to achieve 500 miles or more in the week. I am working on possible routes up and down the coast as we speak.

October 16 - Bike MS NYC - 100 Miles
100 miles around a traffic free Manhattan - does it get any better. This is the only actual event on the calendar that I have to raise money for, but it is definitely for a
good cause. I may be seeing some of you about this event.

There you have it. Of course there will be lots of training between all these events, hopefully hitting my peak with Nightmare. Also, I will be posting pictures of all these events.

Catch ya on the flip side...
The Capt.

Miles to Date: 174.4
Goal 5000



No comments:

About Me

My photo
I got my name from a friend while playing a video game a long time ago and it just stuck. As if you couldn't tell from the picture I am a huge cycling nut, always looking for something harder.